Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

2009 Ford Escape battery light on and off. Alternator is

Customer Question

2009 Ford Escape battery light on and off. Alternator is charging battery test good
Category: Ford
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 11 months ago.

Hello Phil,

I have been a master auto tech for over 35 years and have seen this happen many times before.

The problem lies with a diode inside the alternator that is failing. There are 3 diodes on this particular alternator and when one fails the light will do on and off just like you are seeing. It will still put out enough charging voltage but it puts a load on the remaining diodes and as soon as another one fails, it will not be able to charge the battery anymore. Bot***** *****ne is the alternator is on its way out and needs replaced.

The failing diode can be noticed only on an oscilloscope so it wont show up on regular volt/amp meters.

Replace it and it will take care of the light coming on and prevent problems down the road.

LJ

My goal is that you are 100% happy with my answer(s). I strive for a positive rating. It's the only way i get credit. If you have further questions PLEASE just reply and i will work with you as long as possible.