EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

I have a 2009 ford focus. Car drives fine. but 3 times this

Customer Question

Customer: hi. david. i have a 2009 ford focus. Car drives fine. but 3 times this season I have taken it to to mountains. Freezing temps. check engine light comes on (p2004). when i get back to home, sea level, check engine light goes away. 2 of the 3 times, i noticed a burning smell coming from vents when the heater is on. turn off heater, smell goes away.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: p2004 intake manifold valve stuck open. burning smell seems to be electrical/plastic.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. The burning smell and the p2004 are probably not related. For the oil smell you probably have an oil leak and you are smelling it burn on the exhaust. The valve cover gasket is common to leak on those.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

The p2004 indicates an issue with the Intake Manifold Runner Control. It is part of the intake manifold. There is an actuator that opens flaps inside the intake. If the intake has a lot of carbon in it, the flaps can stick. Or there can be a problem with the actuator. Essentially the intake needs to come off and be inspected.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'll check the the ignition coils for a leak.but it does not smell like oil though....and it only happens when coming back from tahoe. I cranked the heater high and drove for an hour and no smell...no check engine light.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

The smell could be that a mouse has gotten into the heater box, or even debris from outside and there may be something burning on the blower motor resistor. Or there was and it has now burned off completely. What if the smell is coolant? At least check the coolant level. You still may want to have the car checked for a leak. The smell and check engine light are probably not related.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Have you made any progressing checking out your Focus? Please rate my service and let me know if you have any more questions.