HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

Name: JimNew Years Eve, 98 Ford F150 stalled while driving.

Customer Question

Customer: Name: JimNew Years Eve, 98 Ford F150 stalled while driving. I jumped out after attempting to restart without success to notify the traffic that I was stalled. So that meaning I opened the door while the key was still in the ignition. I later determined that the a/c clutch was frozen but ever since the incident, the starter will not activate nor will the panic button on the fob. I tried to de-activate and re-activate the anti-theft system according to the manual instructions and everything works except at the end when there is a signal that is supposed to tell me by chirping whether the system was activated or deactivated. There is no chirping at the end.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Already did.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Can you estimate the time?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have reprogrammed both Fobs and verified that they both work properly and the battery power is good. I have also disconnected the battery of the vehicle overnight and verified that there is over 12 volts in the vehicle battery. The best that I can tell is that it is a factory system. I have owned the vehicle since it was new and the system is addressed on the owner's manual. You may call me which may be best to save on typing. I have made several logical attempts to correct the problem but am trying hard to avoid a tow to the dealer. I do not have a cell phone so the number provided is my home phone but it will not receive texts.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

Hellol so basically the starter system isnt working at this point? Does this use a PATS system with a Red THEFT lamp? Is it blinking fast when you turn the key to on? These are ford factory key fobs you are trying to program that goes into programming mode and it cycles the locks when you hit a button on the fob but doesnt cycle them when turning the key off?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The red Theft lamp does not show when the key is lit. The red theft lamp only blinks fast when I lock the doors with the fob, it later slows to a steady blink. However, when I hit the fob twice for lock, the vehicle no longer beeps as it did before the stall. The key fobs are Ford factory and I have used them since the vehicle was purchased off the showroom floor. Lock and Unlock work fine for both fobs but the panic button does not. I sat inside the vehicle in the troubleshooting process and hit the lock and waited for the fast "Theft" blinking to slow to a steady blink.and opened the door and the alarm does sound off. I have also tried to open the door when the fast blink is ongoing and nothing at all happens.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do not believe that there is a chip in the key because several years ago when the wife lost the key, I had an new one cut that was able to unlock the doors and start the vehicle and it is just a standard key with no black coating.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

Ok thats what I was wondering. The antitheft system shouldnt have caused the vehicle to stall or disable the starting of the vehicle.if it doesnt crank do you have battery power to the starter and a signal from the ignition key to the smaller starter wire when cranking? Will it crank if you jump across the starter ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I presume that since the key was in the vehicle when it last stalled because of the A/C clutch freeze the anti-theft system activated when I stepped out of the vehicle to apprise the vehicles behind me that my truck was immobile. I would call if there were no additional charges but since I have already incurred the expense of the 1 tow, clutch repair, just answer beginning fee and the possiblity of towing the vehicle to the dealer, I do not want anymore charges accrued but thanks for the offer. Anyway, I do believe that the starter, the panic button and the activation/deactivation problems are related to both the stalling incident and the anti-theft device.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think that the last thing the device remembered is that the vehicle was running.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

No problem, the website automaticaly offers the phone call option. Here is a description of the alarm system operation. Have you tried disarming the alarm system with the key in the door as described at the end of the description?

The ignition lock anti-theft switch (19A438) detects if the ignition key cylinder is broken or "slam pulled" during a theft. The ignition lock anti-theft switch is always monitored by the remote anti-theft personality (RAP) module. This allows the alarm system to be triggered if the ignition lock anti-theft switch detects tampering of the ignition key cylinder (even in the event that the alarm is not active at the time).

The door open warning lamp switch (14018) communicates with the RAP module through the generic electronic module (GEM). This input to the RAP module will cause the anti-theft alarm to be sounded if the anti-theft alarm was armed.

The door disarm switches are attached to both the LH and RH lock cylinder. The door disarm switch must be triggered before the mechanical lock unlocks. This prevents the anti-theft alarm from activating when it should have been disarmed.

The RAP module controls the anti-theft system and the keyless entry system. The RAP module communicates with the GEM to request that the interior lights be turned ON/OFF with use of the keyless entry remote transmitter, and the GEM communicates with the RAP module to inform when the door is opened.

In addition to the perimeter alarm that uses the door open warning lamp switch, the RAP module also uses the ignition lock anti-theft switch and the autolock/relock feature to prevent theft of the vehicle.

The THEFT indicator is found on the instrument panel between the tachometer scale and the needle pivot point. The indicator is illuminated during prearming and flashes when armed or triggered.

Prearming and Arming the System

The system can be armed if the ignition is in the OFF position, the panic alarm is OFF and all doors are closed.

The two ways to prearm the system are to press the lock button on the transmitter or open a door, press the power door lock button, and close the door.

After 30 seconds the system will be armed and the THEFT indicator in the cluster will flash every two seconds.

Disarming an Untriggered System

An armed system will be disarmed with one of these valid actions:

1. Pressing the unlock button on the transmitter.
  1. Placing a key in the door and turning to unlock.
  1. Turning the key to RUN or ACC.

Triggering the Anti-Theft Alarm

The anti-theft alarm will be triggered if the ignition cylinder is damaged with or without the RAP being armed or a door is opened without disarming the armed RAP module.

The remote transmitter can activate a panic alarm which is similar to an anti-theft alarm, but does not deactivate the starter or cause the THEFT indicator to flash.

Disarming a Triggered System

If the system has been triggered, (the horn sounds, the lights flash, and an external starter interrupt relay is engaged), the system can be disarmed by:

1. Pressing the unlock or panic button on the transmitter.
  1. Putting a key in the door and unlocking the door.
  1. Turning the ignition to RUN/ACC. (Turning the key to RUN/ACC will not disarm an alarm that has been triggered by the ignition lock anti-theft switch.)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will give them a try but sometimes these kinds of instructions don't really make sense. Meaning that a couple of the steps suggest hitting the unlock button on the fob which if it is working properly will unlock the door, but they call for the second step after that to use the key to unlock the door that would be for practical purpose, already be unlocked.........?????
Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

Because it has a switch o the key cylinder for the anti theft system to manually disarm it other than the key fob, just try it and see if it disables the alarm and vehicle starts.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I went through the steps of disarming an Untriggered System and disarming a triggered system and the vehicle still will not start nor will the starter attempt to engage. I errored when I described the "activity. But, after performing both, I opened the door from the inside and the alarm sounded, so as to say to me that the system never became disarmed. I also errored when I described the Theft" light activity. I said that it flashed quickly before stabilizing to a slower flash with 2 second intervals. It actually holds a steady sign before starting the 2 second intervals. However, there is also something that may help. When I hit the panic button, the horn does not activate as it does when I open the door. The only thing that happens that shouldn't is the interior light comes on. Also previously before the incident, when I would exit the vehicle and hit the fob lock, the horn would chirp telling me that the system is activated. It no longer does that.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

Ok the RAP(alarm) module sends a signal to the gem module to turn the doors on, sounds like an issue with the RAP module or possibly the ignition switch for the alarm system. Since it uses a starter interrupt relay, you can bypass the relay. In the wiring diagram im attaching it mentions how the RAP module will ground the circuit and take power away from the starter circuit

Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

Give me a minute to find the relay

Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

Ok the relay is located on the passenger side of the dash, there should be an access panel on top of the right side of the dash to get to the relay box,remove the cover and remove the relay and using a jumper wire jump across relay pin 30 & 87a white pink wire as shown in the wiring schematic and if truck should crank. But in order to get the alarm system disabled properly you wold need to have the RAP module tested for codes to see what part of the system is at fault.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I actually already pulled the starter interrupt fuse and it didn't do anything but I will wait to see what you send. Thanks.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

The relay itself to bypass the relay being closed, if it isnt 4x4 it will be the only relay up in the upper right side of the dash