James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

2002 ford diesel inoperative 4x4. gem module was bad, no

Customer Question

Customer: 2002 ford diesel inoperative 4x4. gem module was bad, no comunications. replaced and configured gem module. also had bad transfer case position sensor, replaced motor sensor assembly. throwing code 1876. if this is the orange wire it is not shorted to groun. unplugging sensor shows all contacts open. removed sensor and rotate it and contacts change from open to closed
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: no 4x4. electric shift. i can ground the relay wires at the gem module and make the shift motor run. scvan tool shows the 4x4 switch change fro 2 to 4high to 4 low
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: that will be fine
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm sorry you haven't been helped yet. Can I still offer you assistance?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
you can
Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

Have you done any other testing since you listed the question?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have decided scone yes gem module and t case connectors and checked continuity of harness and checked for short to ground. Checked fuses 45 31 27 30 111 34.
Brake switch input good. Range sensor only shows a neutral hear input.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry for auto correct. Disconnected gem module and transfer case checked wire continuity and checked for short to ground.
At work for a short time. Can we discuss this now or should I go home.
Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

I'm looking up the wire diagrams now. They are known for the gem and the motors. When you ground the relays it is shifting correctly. Have you checked to see if the switch is getting 5 volts?

Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xw8wjvh0shvxkvk/2016-01-06%2019.20.02.jpg?dl=0

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
2wd is 6v
4hi is2.6v
4low is 1.0
All the inputs seem to be there it's as if the module just doesn't want you to be in 4x4
Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9dr37qr0v6whr7n/2016-01-06%2019.20.31.jpg?dl=0

Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

Did you program the module so it knows it has 4wheel drive? This vehicle has to be programmed to told it is a 4wd vehicle.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
as stated in the first description it has been programmed. Also tried one from a known good system.
Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

If you ground the relay at the gem or 4x4 module and it works then the gem must be defective. The only other things would be two wires wire between the gem and relay box are broken. You have verified everything including all circuits.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
That's what I thought. But I've tried more than one module. It acts as if it doesn't recognize any inputs. Can the 1876 code cuase the module to inhibit 4x4 operation.
My gut tells me another module won't fix it. Usually when I have this feeling I'm correct. Not sure what else to do.
Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes. Sometimes when the code sets long enough the 4x4 completely disables until it sees a master reset.