Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Shop Supervisor at County Fleet
62275574

The wipers & radio have stopped working in my 2000 Taurus.

Customer Question

The wipers & radio have stopped working in my 2000 Taurus. It happened after an Interlock device was installed but the installer swears that nothing he did would interfere with the wipers or radio. I'd appreciate any advice you have.
Janet F.
Atlanta, GA
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

There has to be something that the installer cut or modified making the radio and wipers not work. Do you have a multi-meter to do some electrical testing?

I think your best bet will be to make the installer take a look at it again to make sure something wasn't accidentally cut or pulled out. It's really tough to tell you exactly where to look without knowing how the interlock was installed but I can tell you how to test the wiper circuit and the radio circuit if you have a multi-meter.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
my husband has one that he can use when he gets home tonight. We would appreciate your instructions for testing the wiper & radio circuits.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I would attempt it myself but he has it with him at work.
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

For the Radio:

1. Check all associated ICP fuses of the fuse box.
Fuse 8 (5-amp) is hot in the START position of the ignition switch.
Fuse 12 (5-amp) feeds an ignition power signal in the Run position of the switch.
Fuse 20 (5-amp) feeds an ignition power signal in the Run position of the switch.
Fuse 24 (5-amp) feeds a hot-at-all-times power signal.
Fuse 32 (10-amp) should indicate battery voltage if the rear window defrost switch relay is activated.

2. If all fuses are okay and intact, check the power feeds and grounds of the C237 ICP connector.
Pin 16 is a Red/Yellow (R/Y) wire feeding power from fuse #12.
Pin 6 is a Black/Pink (BK/PK) wire feeding power from fuse 20.
Pin 11 is a Red/White (R/W) wire feeding power from fuse 24.
Pin 1 is a Black (BK) wire supplying a dedicated ground.
Pin 12 is a Black/Light Green (BK/LG) wire supplying a dedicated ground.

3. Check the Light Blue/Pink (LB/PK) wire at pin 13 and Tan (T) wire at pin 14 for indication of an open circuit between the ICP and the Rear Control Unit (RCU) as well as for a potential short to ground or short to each other.

4. If all circuits check out as indicated then it's possible that the Instrument panel cluster was shorted intranally during the installation of the interlock and will need to be replaced.

Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

For the wipers:

1. Remove relay 29 from the battery junction box (under hood fuse box) and verify that two terminals of the relay indicate battery power with the key in the Run position. Both circuits are fed from Central Junction Box (CJB) fuse 15 (30 amp).

2. If the relay has power on both terminals, jumper relay terminal 3 to relay terminal 5. This should result in power to the wiper motor on the White (WH) wire for low speed wiper motor operation.

3. If the wiper motor runs with the jumper installed, replace the Wiper Run/Park relay (relay 29).

4. If there is no power to the wiper motor on the WH wire, remove relay 25 from the BJB and check to verify that two of the terminals on relay 25 have power with the ignition switch in the Run position and the jumper installed at relay 29.

5. Install a second jumper wire between relay terminal 3 and terminal 4 of relay 25 leaving the jumper still installed at relay 29 to determine if the wiper motor then has power on the WH wire or the motor runs indicating a defective wiper High/Low relay (relay 25).

Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know if you need any additional info.

Also, don't forget to rate. They don't pay us if we don't get a positive rating.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Will do, Jared!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please bear with us, Jared. We were at church until late last night so my husband Wong have a chance to follow your instruction until tonight after work. He may need more advice from you. I promise we'll follow up with a rating in the next day or two. Thank you,
Expert:  Jared D replied 11 months ago.

No problem. I'll be here for more help if needed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.