Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Check engine light is on. checked all fluids and connections

Customer Question

Check engine light is on. checked all fluids and connections I could see. I live in an isolated place 75 miles from closest mechanic. Is it dangerous to drive it that far?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 11 months ago.

The light will come on for many reasons but if its running ok its probably came on for an emissions fault. Nothing major and certainly is safe to drive. You could even disconnect the battery cables from the battery for 30 seconds and reconnect them and a lot of times it will turn the light off if it makes you feel better. It may however come back on if an emissions component sends a fault signal to the computer but dont worry about it just drive it to a shop and you will be fine :-)

The only time its bad for the engine is if the light flashes on and off continually.

My goal is that you are 100% happy with my answer(s). I strive for a positive rating. It's the only way i get credit. If you have further questions PLEASE just reply and i will work with you as long as possible.