Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My name is ***** ***** and I have a 1989 F250 5.0 EFI with

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** and I have a 1989 F250 5.0 EFI with the idle hunting up and down and the check engine light comes on. The problem is intermittent and sometimes sorts itself out if only temporarily. Has many new parts like distributor, fuel tank pump unit and filter, new fuel pump relay, wires, plugs, TPS etc.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Such as? Sometimes it idles fine at 700 RPM with no check engine light. Did this the other night for over an hour then the idle began to waver from about 500 to 1000. Truck would stay running but check engine light came on. Sometimes it will idle fine for only about 5 minutes with no check engine light and then becomes erratic and the check engine light comes on. Sometimes if I mash the gas and rev it up to about 3000 RPM the problem goes away temporarily. Sometimes the problem just stops on it's own, but again, only temporarily.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure!
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

Hello, since the check engine light comes on have you had it checked for codes using a scan tool? Key On Engine Off test?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?