HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

I have a 2001 winstar, cruise doesn't work. I checked

Customer Question

I have a 2001 winstar, cruise doesn't work. I checked pressure switch, fuses and vacuum hoses. Everything is OK.what do I check next?
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I never had a cruise indicator light in the dash. I tried the diagnosis test procedure without any luck. What's next?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Also the ABS light is on.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the break light in the center of the speed ometer is also on.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

Hello, do the stop lamps work properly? Do they stay on all the time?Is fuse number 10 a 10 amp in the central junction box good?Have you had a scan for codes of the abs and cruise control system done?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Stop lights work fine. Fuse is good . And no on the ABS scan,and cruise control scan.
Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

Ok, Unfortunately there is no self diagnostic system to hold the cruise buttons an allow the cruise light to blink out codes. You would need a scan tool that can communicate with the cruise system to run a self test for trouble codes to be sure. On thing to check is the brake pressure switch on the master cylinder for leaking which it looks like you checked.Otherwise you would have to use a multimeter to test for power and grounds at the cruise control servo motor under the hood and test the input functions of the cruise control switches on the steering wheel which I can give you if you have a multimeter to test the circuits

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do have a multimeter. But do l have to take the steering wheel apart? Or can I check right at the servo motor? And why don't I have a cruise light?
Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

All testing is done at the 10 pin servo motor connector, you woild only have to disassemble the airbag if you have bad switches on the steering wheel. The light doesnt operate until the servo completes the circuit and the cruise system is working.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

PINPOINT TEST G: THE SPEED CONTROL IS INOPERATIVE — NO DTCS

CONDITIONSDETAILS/RESULTS/ACTIONS

G1 CHECK THE HORN SYSTEM

Verify the horn system operates by pressing the horn switch.

• Does the horn system operate correctly?

Yes

GO to G2

No

REFER to Section 413-06

G2 CHECK THE SPEED CONTROL SWITCH ON

Speed Control Servo C116

Measure the voltage between the speed control servo C116 pin 5, circuit 151 (LB/BK), harness side and ground while pressing the speed control switch ON.

• Is the voltage greater than 10 volts?

Yes

GO to G3

No

INSTALL a new speed control switch. TEST the system for normal operation.

G3 CHECK THE SET/ACCEL SWITCH

Measure the resistance between the speed control servo C116 pin 5, circuit 151 (LB/BK), harness side and the speed control servo C116 pin 6, circuit 848 (DG/OG), harness side while pressing the speed control switch SET/ACCEL.

• Is the resistance between 612-748 ohms with the switch pressed and greater than 10,000 ohms with the switch released?

Yes

GO to G6.

No

GO to G4

G4 CHECK CIRCUIT 151 (LB/BK) FOR AN OPEN

Air Bag Sliding Contact C215

Measure the resistance between the speed control servo C116 pin 5, circuit 151 (LB/BK), harness side and the air bag sliding contact C215 pin 4, circuit 151 (LB/BK), harness side.

• Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?

Yes

GO to G5

No

REPAIR the circuit. TEST the system for normal operation.

G5 CHECK THE AIR BAG SLIDING CONTACT

Measure the resistance between the air bag sliding contact C215 pin 4, circuit 151 (LB/BK), component side and the air bag sliding contact pin 3, component side.

• Is the resistance less than 5 ohms?

Yes

INSTALL a new air bag sliding contact. TEST the system for normal operation.

No

G6 CHECK CIRCUIT 1040 (RD/BK) AND CIRCUIT 535 (LB/RD) FOR VOLTAGE

Measure the voltage between the speed control servo C116 pin 7, circuit 1040 (RD/BK), harness side and ground; and speed control servo C116 pin 9, circuit 535 (LB/RD), harness side and ground.

• Are the voltages greater than 10 volts?

Yes

GO to G7

No

REPAIR the circuit in question. TEST the system for normal operation.

G7 CHECK CIRCUIT 1205 (BK) FOR AN OPEN

Measure the resistance between speed control servo C116 pin 10, circuit 1205 (BK), harness side and ground.

• Is the resistances less than 5 ohms?

Yes

GO to G8

No

G8 CHECK FOR CORRECT SPEED CONTROL SERVO OPERATION

Disconnect the speed control servo connector.

Check for:

• corrosion
      • pushed-out pins

Connect the speed control servo connector and make sure it is seated correctly.

Operate the system and verify the concern is still present.

• Is the concern still present?

Yes

INSTALL a new speed control servo. TEST the system for normal operation.

No

The system is operating correctly at this time. Concern may have been caused by a loose or corroded connector. TEST the system for normal operation.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
      This sounds a bit over my head. But I will check the connecters and make sure they are good. Would the ABS light being on have anything to do with it?
      Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

It shouldnt, unless it is setting a code for the brake pressure transducer on the master cylinder which deactivtes the cruise control but i thought you said you checked the switch

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
      I did. Hooked up a meter and stepped on the brake and the circuit opened. Let up on the brake and the circuit closed. And no oil leaking.
      Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

Ok, long as that switch is working properly its either an issue with the servo motor or the switches on the steering wheel. ABS codes can be anything from a wheel speed sensor to a faulty abs module.If it uses more than one brake pedal switch on the pedal( a blue one) this is also a deactivation switch, but since you have the switch on the master cylinder your model should not have one

Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

It doesnt, i just checked the schematic.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
      Well I'll check out a few things you gave me and see what happens. Thanks
      Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

No problem, test isnt that bad, just unplug the 10 pin wire connector from the speed control servo under the hood and match the wire color while testing

Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.