Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000
29534642

I have a 1998 F150 pickup with a 4.6l I just replaced the

Customer Question

I have a 1998 F150 pickup with a 4.6l I just replaced the battery and now it won't start at all. Fuel was getting low so prior to trying to start I put 5 gallons into the tank. It turns over real good but it doesn't fire at all... I don't think fuel is getting to the injectors is there an easy way to check?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Hello, Do you happen to have a fuel pressure gauge by chance? or can you hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds when you just turn the key ON, should hear a slight buzz then it quits, that is the fuel pump running, but the best way to check is with a fuel pressure gauge. If you don't have one, you can borrow one from a local auto parts store. let us know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you I'll do that , in the meantime is there an inline filter that can be/should be checked?
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

There is a fuel filter on the fuel rail, but I doubt it is clogged up, My suggestion is let's try to get it running first, before dealing with any maintenance type items. If you have some starting fluid, and someone to get in the truck, spray some directly into the air intake, and see if you can make the truck run for a couple of seconds by introducing a fuel source. if it runs then briefly, but can't run on it's on, then we know we have spark to the spark plugs but lacking fuel. That can narrow it down for us.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you... I've never done that with a fuel injected vehicle before... I'll give it a go... thanks
Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Alright , just lightly spray a few times in the air intake pipe. if it hits or runs at all for a second or two. that's all we want to confirm is that it has spark and fuel is likely the issue at that point.

Expert:  Edward replied 11 months ago.

Hello, any luck getting the truck started again? Was it the fuel pressure/pump by chance? Thanks.