HDGENE
HDGENE, Ford Senior Master/Diesel/Trans
Experience:  25 years Auto experience, Ford ,GM, Chrysler, Asian & European
285738

2001 ford ranger with electric 4wd system no 4wd operation.

Customer Question

2001 ford ranger with electric 4wd system no 4wd operation. no lights on dash for 4wd. No communication with scan tool to 4wd module. replaced 4wd module with OEM one, same issue
Category: Ford
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Were the 4wd control fuses checked to make sure they are o.k. and that they have power across them with the key on?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i checked them all with a test light
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Did you test for proper power and ground at the terminals at the 4wd control module?

Was anything after market installed on your vehicle at all?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
checked all powers and grounds at module connection. Just a aftermarket radio
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Under your vehicle on the transfer case there should be an electric shift motor/actuator.If you unplug this actuator do you have communication then at all and any lights working then at all?

Are you using a compatible scan tool that is able to communicate with the 4wd control module?(as some are not able to do this)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have not checked the transfer case plug what should I be looking for on that plug?
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

I would unplug it and see if you have communication then and see if the 4wd lights then work.If they do then the actuator on the transfer case needs replaced.I have seen this actuator fail before and can short out the 4wd computer and cause this issue here.See if when it is unplugged if communication is restored and if you have any lights then for the 4wd at all and let me know

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No lights and no communication with motor unplugged
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Did this issue occur after the radio was installed?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No radio has been in for a while
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

If you unplug the front differential actuator do you have communication then at all or any 4wd lights?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
there is no front acuator on this
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

O.k.,some of my info isnt matching up with this here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

Hello, do you still have no communication with the new 4x4 module? No 4x4 lights prove out on the dash when you turn the key to on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Key on. No lights on. Still no communication. Tried two new modules from ford. The wire from obd port to module is good
Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

Just to recheck, all these fuses for the 4x4 system are ok?

• Battery junction box (BJB) fuse:
    • 1 (50A)
    • 3 (50A)
    • 13 (20A)
    • 30 (10A)
  • Central junction box (CJB) fuse:
Expert:  HDGENE replied 11 months ago.

And these pins are good power and ground to the 4x4 module?

PINPOINT TEST B: NO COMMUNICATION WITH THE FOUR-WHEEL DRIVE (4WD) CONTROL MODULE

CONDITIONSDETAILS/RESULTS/ACTIONS

B1 CHECK POWER TO 4WD CONTROL MODULE

4WD Control Module C281a

4WD Control Module C281b

Measure the voltage between 4WD control module C281a, pin 1, circuit 931 (OG) and ground; and between 4WD control module C281a, pin 2, circuit 704 (DG/LG) and ground.

• Are both voltage measurements greater than 10 volts?

Yes

GO to B2.

No

REPAIR the power supply as necessary. TEST the system for normal operation.

B2 CHECK 4WD CONTROL MODULE GROUND CIRCUIT

Measure the resistance between 4WD control module C281a pin 7, circuit 57 (BK), harness side and ground; and between 4WD control module C281b pin 2, circuit 570 (BK/WH), harness side and ground.

• Are both resistances less than 5 ohms?

Yes

CARRY OUT the module self-test. If any DTCs are recorded, REFER to the 4WD Module Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Index in this section.

If the module still does not communicate witht the diagnostic tool, Refer to section 418-00

No

REPAIR the circuit. TEST the system for normal operation.

Does any other module fail a network test?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
      Do you have a diagram of the connector. ?
      Customer: replied 10 months ago.
      Ok tested fuses. All good. I do not have fuse number 3 13 or 30 in my fuse block under hood. Pin 2 black/white to ground had high resistance. Make a quick jumper wire and resistance is back to normal but still have the same issue
      Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.

Post the 17 digit vin number so im sure Im supplying the correct schematic for the fuses and coonectors

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
      1ftzr15e21ta4833
      Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.

Hi missing part of the vin, should be 17 digits long

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
      1FTZR15e21TA48333
      Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.

Ok according to the attachment you should have a 20 amp fuse in the battery underhood fuse panel #30 that supplies power to pin 2 of the 4x4 module.

Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.

Sorry I mean fuse f1.13 this model uses a european style diagram different from regular ford models fuse 13

Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.

Connector C281A

Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.

C281B

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
      Fuse 13 is good
      Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.

Ok so all fuses for the circuit are good, you ran through the pinpoint test? You already have a new module installed.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
      ran through it all. Tried a new module.
      Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.

Is it failing a network test? ANy other modules setting codes or failing a network test?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.

You have the correct 4x4 module replacement?

Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.

Part is new and not used?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
      No other module is having issues. Module is a exact replacement from ford new. I eve. Tried two of them
      Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.

and following through the pinpoint test brings you to replacing the module. Have you load tested the power and ground circuits with a bulb to see if they will light a bulb

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
      no i have not
      Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.

Ok need to verify since the module is new if the power and ground circuits are working properly or have a voltage drop when load testing the circuit, take a standard brake light bulb or two wire bulb and hook it up to the power and ground circuits and wiggle the harness, if there is an issue the bulb will light dim. If ok the bulb will be nice and bright.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
      ok i wont have time to test this until thursday, What size bulb do i use? interior blub? or sealed beam?
      Expert:  HDGENE replied 10 months ago.

9004 headlamp bulb is best or a 3156 single element tail lamp bulb