Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

I have an 88 ford ranger xlt with 2.3l engine. All of a

Customer Question

I have an 88 ford ranger xlt with 2.3l engine. All of a sudden truck lost power sounds almost like a lawn mower and I can't do better than 25 mph up any incline. Compression test holds 90 without leaking plugs were being fouled and stalling alot. Replaced the map sensor which improved it from fouling the spark plugs and a little on rough idle but still no power. Replaced all vacuum lines and fuel pressure regulator but still sounds the same and have no power. I've seen the tps could be the problem but given the price of them I want to rule out everything else before changing that if I can. Also this year doesn't have a maf sensor either. Any help will be greatly appreciated
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

It sounds like you may have an issue with the timing belt. If it's slipped or the truck has jumped time it's going to have a complete loss of power and you may have the lawnmower sound. This is because it's not firing when it should be. 90 psi is not good compression to be honest.

HERE is a link for checking the cam sprocket through the plug in the timing cover.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

Do you need further assistance with this?