Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

2005 F-150 check gauges light comes on after the key is

Customer Question

2005 F-150 check gauges light comes on after the key is taken out. This in return turns the radio back on among other things. Check engine light, battery, 4x4 and airbag comes on; all still with the key out.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 11 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I'm an independent contractor here at Just Answer.

This is most likely a failure of the ignition switch. If you unplug the ignition switch do these lights go back out? Can you do electrical testing with a volt meter or test light?

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

You should see a rating screen if I have posted an answer, not for an info request.

Your rating is my feedback. If I don't get feedback from customers, I will not be able to continue helping customers here.

Rating me good, bad, or not rating at all does not effect the fee you have paid nor does it close the post.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It doesn't do it every time but I will check this the time it happens. Ignition switch right under the key entry correct?

That is correct, you access it by removing the steering column shrouds.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I checked the ignition switch and it did nothing however I noticed today that if I pressed the brake pedal everything shut of.

Thanks, ***** ***** ignition unplugged, and these things still powered up. Can you tell me which wires at the ignition switch are powered?

Does the vehicle have a remote start?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It use to and they cut it out. I don't have a voltage meter.

Do you have a test light?

The info so far is pointing to a wire issue from this remote start or a possible interior fuse box failure.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok so the brake relay when pressed is closing the circuit. Causing everything to go off some how.

Thanks, ***** ***** about the brake light fixing the issue in your prior post. We still need to figure out why this is occurring. Do you have a test light? We need something to test with to be able to move forward on this electrical diag.

I like to stay in contact with my customers that appear not pleased, still working on the concern, or have not rated yet. I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I haven't had time to buy a meter yet but I do know that if the disconnect the abs brake system under the hood everything shut off and it won't drain my battery.
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 10 months ago.

That would confirm its the ABS module that is to blame after you can do some wire testing once you get a meter.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I heard there is a chip that goes bad is this correct?

I do not know about a chip to blame, the circuit board inside the ABS module though can be to blame.