Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

2007 Ford Explorer with 4.0L. Pulling a bunch of

Customer Question

Customer: 2007 Ford Explorer with 4.0L. Pulling a bunch of transmission codes P0755,0743, 0760, 0962, 0966, & 0970. Suspect a bad ground. There is a ground point right in the center of the intake/lifter galley cover. It appears to go to the tranny and it also appears to be some sort of grounding resistor. It is open. Definitely bad although I do not know its purpose.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Will not shift automatically.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Check fuse 38 under the hood for being good and to make sure it has voltage on both of the holes in the top of the fuse. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No voltage in or out. No signs of heat. Fuse is good. This was checked with the ignition off, correct

Key on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me recheck then
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Voltage good on both sides. As for that resistor or sensor on top of the lifter galley. The wires had deteriorated or been damaged. I took it apart and it looks like a semiconductor material between two plates. Any idea what that is. I have not been able to find any references to it and I do NOT have a schematic for this vehicle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By the way, the reason I went looking there first for a bad ground is because the 4.0 has that goofy plastic thermostat housing which was leaking and this resistor or sensor was submerged in antifreeze and or water for a while.

I can only help with one question per thread. Do you want to focus on that or the transmission issue?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Another clue, the O/D switch no longer gives an indication on the dash when the button is pushed. This whole problem has been intermittent over the last couple of weeks. I know how we love intermittent problems. By the way, I am pretty good on solving schematic puzzles. I do control work and used to be NIASE certified back in the late 70's.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am thinking that the two are related. I can't tell for sure because of tight quarters but I think that the two wires on that resistor go into the tranny harness. Yes let's focus on the tranny.

Check the voltage on the grey/blue wire at the transmission connector and let me know what you get.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where is that connector located?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when you say grey/blue are you referring to a grey wire with a blue tracer?

Its the large connector on the side of the transmission. Yes grey with a blue tracer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a right angle molded and potted electrical connector that is held in place by what looks like a 5/16" bolt on the top flange of the valve body. It goes to the solenoids. It is not large and I will have to undo the wrap to see wire colors and then try to figure which pin goes to which wire. There is a large connector on the shift mechanism. Which connector are we talking about and again should this check be done with the key on? Sorry but I am flying blind with no documentation.

The one to the solenoids is the one I am referring to. I am going to offer an additional service for wiring diagrams if you want them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've seen the one of the tranny harness including the solenoids but it's an incomplete puzzle piece. I am starting to lean towards buying the Factory service manual on CD because it will have the whole schematic including locations of grounds and connectors. If I knew where the next connector is then I wouldn't have to disturb that sealed connector. Not trying to second guess you Wayne. Because of the fact that the codes show essentially everything inside the tranny at fault and the fuse is good is why I started looking at grounds. It's a common denominator. Because this tranny does NOT have a dipstick and my wife does gas and go I am reluctant to disturb that connector. Where can I find the other end?

You need to disturb that "sealed" connector anyway because from what you have tested so far I suspect water has intruded it and caused connection issues.

The other end is the fuse box which is sealed and you have already checked the fuse contained within it that has voltage which tells me its not making it to the solenoids. The solenoids are grounded through the transmission case. Does the case show good continuity to battery -?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay I'm on it. I'll check continuity of tranny to battery first. That was what I suspected that thing on the galley was. By the way, if I don't get this resolved tonight how can I resume this thread at a later time?

Bookmark the page and just return to it to continue where we leave off.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What a crappy design! Funnels water right into the socket. Water in the socket. For now I've blown it out and then washed with contact cleaner. I will put dielectric grease on the connector and on the crappy O-rings. Pins "look" intact and the grey/blue socket (Had to disassemble the connector) is a little discolored from electrolysis but has voltage with key on. Will put it back together for now and if it gives me more trouble will replace the tranny harness. If that pin is damaged then I will have to get into the internal harness. If I need to continue I will do so tomorrow. Thanks much

No problem. Sounds like you found your issue and my suspicion was right. Now you see why I put quotations around the sealed ;)

Let me know if you need anything further and please be sure to rate my service so I get credit for helping you. Thanks