A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

I have a 2013 F150 XLT and the instrument cluster went out.

Customer Question

Joe, I have a 2013 F150 XLT and the instrument cluster went out. After it cut out, the air distribution went to full hot on defrost. I can't see anything on the instrument cluster.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 11 months ago.

Can I have the VIN# ***** the mileage?
It will help me check Fords database on this issue.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
VIN # *****
Mileage 41,500

You are out of the Factory warranty by mileage. The warranty started on Sept 5, 2013. Your powertrain warranty is good for 5 years or 60,000 miles. But it may be a wiring issue between the modules, an failing module shutting the network down in the vehicle or the instrument cluster actually failed. The vehicle will need to be properly tested and have the network in the vehicle tested to make sure the modules in the truck can communicate with each other. You will need to find a repair shop that has the proper scan tool that can test the module communication network and also the modules. Your 2013 F150 has over 15 modules in it an the radio and the instrument cluster are modules also.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I kind of suspected that it would need to go to a repair shop that could actually test the vehicle. Was hoping there would be more information on the web about this issue with more information than go to a repair shop. Thanks.

Without any trouble codes or testing, all I can get from Ford is what I can get below.