EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

I have a 1998 ford Taurus that starts and runs sometimes and

Customer Question

I have a 1998 ford Taurus that starts and runs sometimes and then doesnot start other times, I replaced the coolant control sensor and the crankshaft position sensor. It appears not tobe getting fuel. fuel filter also changed and pressure was normal when running. what's next ? please help
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 11 months ago.

Hi. I understand the pressure was normal when it was running. But you really need to leave the gauge hooked up and check what the pressure is when you cold start it and first turn the key on.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
when I had a pressure gauge all pressure looked fin, it runs and starts at times like when I changes the crankshaft sensor on Thurrsday started it several times bith cold and when the engine was warmed up then the next day would not start, when I put the coolant sensor on, I started it and it ran well but had placed it in spot where the
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
when I had a pressure gauge all pressure looked fine, it runs and starts at times like when I changes the crankshaft sensor on Thurrsday started it several times both cold and when the engine was warmed up then the next day would not start, when I put the coolant sensor on, I started it and it ran well but had placed it in spot where the temp sender was so I switched it back to its proper place
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
do not have access to a fuel pressure guage today

Ok. What does the pressure come up to on a cold start when the key is turned to ON?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
28

Is this a 24 valve dohc 3.0 or a 12 valve 3.0?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
SOHC

The 12 valve motor is not sohc. it is a pushrod motor. That is low as the spec should be 37-45 psi. 28 psi may not cause rough idle or no start but if the pump is weak it may be worse at the times the vehicle will not start.

Also have you replaced the spark plugs recently?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no

You may want to consider that.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
sounds like a plan, however if its runs and then don't run, it does not sound like a plug problem., I will get new plugs but it appears l to be electrical before it gets to the plugs
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
02 January 2016 03:13sounds like a plan, however if its runs and then don't run, it does not sound like a plug problem., I will get new plugs but it appears l to be electrical before it gets to the plugs

You need to figure out what you are missing when it does not run. Fuel or spark.

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 10 months ago.

Have you made progress with your car? Please let me know if you have more questions and please rate my service. Thank You.