Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My 5a fuse (believe #29) my gauges keeps blowing... first

Customer Question

My 5a fuse (believe #29) for all my gauges keeps blowing... first time I replaced fuse it lasted 2 months, then second time 1 month, and then this last time only about 1 week...'98 Expedition XLT 4.6
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Add'l info.... first fuse blew as I was driving, then next 2 times it was when I first started up truck that I saw gauges were not working.
Expert:  camerontech replied 11 months ago.

hi there,

im cam, a licenced diagnostic tech.

i have seen this before on these models.

the wires inside the colomn for the tcs can become pinched and short .

remove the colomn cover and inspect wiring and excessive worn colomn bushings.

1. The Red/Yellow (RD/YE) wire that supplies power to the Instrument Cluster Module (ICM) also feeds power to the Autolamp module and the Transmission Control Switch (TCS) switch.

2. Locate the 3 pin C251 from the TCS and remove the RD/YE and see if the fuse still blows. The TCS wiring can get pinched inside the steering column causing the short to ground and is somewhat of a pattern failure.

3. Assuming the fuse no longer blows, replace the TCS and wiring assembly.

if a wire has rubbed through, repair the wire. the tcs might need to be replaced as well

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thought I paid the "high" details response? You just don't "remove" the column, there's a process to it and I would need those step-by-step instructions. And okay, what's a C251?

the column cover is released by prying the release clips. there are no process instructions or diagrams for this.

the c251 is the connector for the control switch, you follow the wiring down from the switch looking for rubbed through wiring.