EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

I recently had the transmission on my 2004 Ford Lariat 4x4

Customer Question

Customer: I recently had the transmission on my 2004 Ford Lariat 4x4 rebuilt. It operated great for about 6 weeks. Then one morning, I went out to head to work and when I put it in gear, it wouldn't move in any gear. What could be the problem?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The shift handle doesn't seem to have the same resistance as usual, but it does have some.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.

Hi. If you notice less shifter resistance, you should verify that the shifter is actually moving the lever on the transmission. Block the wheels, truck not running. Move the shift lever and go underneath and see if the lever on the transmission is moving. You could have a problem with the cable or the bracket at the trans. Please check this and let me know. Thanks.