Ryan-CTech
Ryan-CTech, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Technical-minded multi-skilled auto mechanic with over 10 years’ experience in all aspects of repairing, maintaining and servicing a diverse range of automobiles.
18042535

88 bronco 2. 2.9. Loss of power would not start but would

Customer Question

88 bronco 2. 2.9. Loss of power would not start but would turn over fast. Turns out the starter was not turning over engine. When I manually turn engine flywheel does not spin. I can turn flywheel and engine will not turn. Is this a bad: torque conv, flywheel, or trans?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ryan-CTech replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome,

Yes this is bad. The flywheel is bolted directly to the Crankshaft. So if the flywheel is spinning and the engine is not then you could have a broken Flywheel or Crankshaft.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How would I know if flywheel broken I have seen flywheel it is not loose and teeth look ok I can turn crank and distributor turns what should I do?

Its an automatic right?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The torque converter bolts to the flywheel so in theory it could be holding it in place.

If the crank is turning the distributor then the break is between the Crank and Flywheel

Ether the Transmission or the Engine is going to need to be removed to confirm. I wish there was better news...sorry :(

Please don't hesitate to ask any follow up questions you may have. We are always here to help. And speaking of help, a Positive Rating helps me as an Expert so thank you in advance for your feedback. Have a great day! -Cheers