A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

My name is zach. i am working on a 98 ford expedition wont

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** ***** am working on a 98 ford expedition wont start battery is fine i can crank it manually from the starter solenoid so i started with that still did not start
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i dropped down the ignition switch and can start it from there. but when i put it back together it wont start
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  John Bryant replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is***** for posting your question to Just Answer. I am an ASE Certified Auto Technician with 45 years of real world experience in dealerships and the aftermarket. I was the owner of a facility for 20 of those years. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution. I will also make every effort to give all of the information you may need with the expectation you will give me a positive rating. Please be aware that I am usually working with a few people at a time so it may take a few minutes to respond.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thats fine

When you say it doesn't start do you mean it is not cranking when you turn the key?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

But if you remove the ignition switch you are able to get it to turn over by jumping the wires at the back of the switch? Am I understanding you correctly?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i didnt do anything with wires. i slid the ignition switch and it started
Expert:  A. Penland replied 1 year ago.

Since the Expedition will not start with the key but will start if you slide the ignition switch, the problem is there is a plastic actuator rod that moves by the ignition key cylinder that moves another plastic rod which moves the ignition switch lever. What happens is there is a metal pin the falls out of the first actuator rod and stops the vehicle from starting. Ford still sells the actuator rod for about $15. The problem is the steering column will have to be removed and disassembled to replace the rod. Below is a picture of the rod.