Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Name is ***** *****. Have a 2005 Freestar 3.9. Has code

Customer Question

Customer: Name is ***** *****. Have a 2005 Freestar 3.9. Has code p0175. I have a scanner and get you any info needed. Vehicle recently had stuck secondary runners, replaced lower intake. The p0175 was there when the code for the secondary runner code was present, thought it might fix both, but only fixed the one problem. Cleaned MAF, checked all hoses/sprayed intake with carb spray. No change in rpm. EGR is clean and holds vacuum.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Has code p0175.. No other issues
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** your scanner what are the LFT readings, on both banks?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
LTFTb1 is 5%
LTFTb2 is -10%
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, then this is isolated to the bank 2, can you pull the plugson bank 2 and see if all 3 are wet or sooty, or is 2 good and only 1 wet or sooty?

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

are you still here???

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4/5/6 all look normal. No wetness. Nothing discernable. Electrodes are reasonably clean.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All have a little bit of black.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, then you either have a bad MAF sensor, or the that bank exhaust has a restriction in it, the did you just clean the MAF or did you replace it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Cleaned it only.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why wouldn't a bad MAF affect both banks though?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

Usually it will effect both banks, but we have seen where the bank 2 runs rich also when they are bad, I would first have a exhaust back pressure test done on that bank, how many miles do you have on this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
217k
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

then it is most likely a partially plugged cat on that bank, with that mileage, an exhaust backpressure test will verify this, the back pressure must not be higher than 1 psi at idle, if it is, then the cat is partially plugged,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After a long wait for a backpressure tester, there is less than 1psi backpressure. What is the testing procedure for the MAF?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

the maf is checked with a scanner to read the airflow when idling

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's not much help. What are good parameters?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

at idle it should be around 5 grams a second, depending on your altitude,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4.98-5.8 @ idle..800 above sea level
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

then that test good, you m ight have a bad injector on that bank, if one sticks open, it can cause the whole bank to read rich, can you monitor the short term fuel trim, and then disconnect each injector, one by one, and see if 2 of them change the short term fuel trim, and one does not, if so, then the injector that did not change will be the culprit,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With injectors all connected, ST is around -10.. it goes up to +14-17 with the outer 2 disconnected (1 at a time). Center one jumps to +44 when unplugged.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

then it sounds like the outer 2 are the culprits,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But the rear ones do the same..
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

???? they should each drop it equally?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The rears take the bank 1 stft to around 18. The front outer two take the bank 2 stft to 17 or so. The middle takes it to 44.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What should they be at?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, the bank 2 middle takes to 44? is this a positive or negative?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Positive 44. The rest are 16-19 positive
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

ok, then my mistake, the center is the bad injector,Tim

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I test it or assume it's bad?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 1 year ago.

the easiest way to verify this, is to swap it with the enter one on the other side, and clear the codes, and see if the code come =s back a bank 1 rich code, if it does, then you know the injector is bad,Tim