Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years experience on all makes and models, Licensed NYS Inspector.
2921078

We are trying to remove and replace ignition switch in Ford

Customer Question

We are trying to remove and replace ignition switch in Ford F-150 but the key won't turn at all
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

What year F150 is it please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
1987
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Anything elsr
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

I am working on setting up a file for you to download for removal, it's a bit more complicated as I am sure you realize. Just having some trouble with my site is all. Please hang in there!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Ok, I can't get the site working that I would normally use to make a link for you. So, here is the information for doing this without a key or a locked cylinder.

Ignition Lock Cylinder (Without Key)

NOTE: The following procedure applies to vehicles where the ignition lock is inoperative and the lock cylinder cannot be rotated due to a lost or broken ignition key and the key number not known or the lock cylinder cap is damaged and/or broken to the extent that the lock cylinder cannot be rotated.

Removal

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
  2. Remove the steering wheel and pad assembly.
  3. Remove the turn signal lever from the steering column.
  4. To gain access to the ignition switch remove the steering column trim shrouds from the steering column. Detach and lower the steering column assembly from the brake pedal support bracket.
  5. Remove the ignition switch and key warning buzzer terminal and pin it in the LOCK position.
  6. Remove the turn signal switch from the column assembly.

1. Remove the upper bearing snap ring and the (2) T-bolt retaining nuts that secure the flange casting to the outer tube. Remove the entire flange casting assembly, the upper shaft bearing, the lock cylinder assembly, the ignition switch actuator and the ignition switch actuator rod by pulling the assembly over the end of the steering column shaft.
  2. Remove the lock actuator insert, the T-bolts, and the PRND21 insert on automatic transmissions or the key release lever assembly on 4-speed transmissions.
  3. Replace the above assembly with a new assembly consisting of: (1) Flange

(1) Lock Cylinder Assembly
(1) Lock Gear, Steering Column Lock
(1) Bearing, Steering Column Lock
(1) Retainer, Steering Column Upper Bearing
(1) Actuator Assembly, Steering Column Lock

1. Install the key release lever assembly on 4-speed equipped vehicles and the PRND21 insert on vehicles with automatic transmission. Install the T-bolts and lock actuator insert.

NOTE: Retain the ignition switch actuating rod from the removed casting assembly and use it with the new flange casting assembly.

Installation

1. Reassemble the above parts, install a new upper shaft bearing and set the actuator to drive gear.
  2. Install the turn signal-hazard warning switch and key warning buzzer.
  3. Install the ignition switch, check and/or adjust for proper function.
  4. Install the steering column assembly to the brake pedal support bracket.
  5. Install the steering column trim shrouds, steering wheel and pad assembly.
  6. Install the turn signal lever.
  7. Using the ignition key, rotate the lock cylinder to insure correct mechanical operation in all positions.
  8. Connect the battery ground cable.
  9. Check for proper start in Park and Neutral. Also check to make certain that the start circuit cannot be actuated in the Drive and Reverse positions.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How do I get it out of park so I can pull key assembly out
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

Not sure I follow you, if it's a shift on the column you should just remove the roll pin that has the lever in the way. It shouldn't have to come out of park. reread the instructions, it's not saying to pull it out of park.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Alright thank you, ***** ***** then I'm use to will walk they your instructions
Expert:  Mike V. replied 11 months ago.

I want to send you this link as well.

It might help, the trucks a bit newer but the setup should be the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFZeb5KFpUw

Please remember to rate my answer.

Thanks so much!