Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

Name is Bob. Electrical problem 1990 F1500 Lost headlights

Customer Question

Customer: Name is***** problem 1990 F1500 Lost headlights dome cluster taillights radio but have brake turn emergency flasher. No voltage at wire to light switch (black w orange stripe) and I know switch is good. F150 Hello It says "Ron is typing" then quits and nothing appears from Ron One more time
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Driving along the highway and the problem occurred. Seems no power to fuse block that runs items I listed
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I will wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Power to the black/orange wire is supplied through the fuse link located on the starter solenoid, locate the starter solenoid on the right side of the fender well and follow the positive battery cable over to where it connects to the solenoid and you will also see a group of smaller wires one of them being the black/orange wire. Check the fuse link as its likely blown. See the wring diagram in the link below , copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Headlamp%20Dec%2031.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think you mean the starter relay and no that wire does not get there. I am going to splice a wire onto black and orange on the back of the fuse block and then to the battery (relay) (with a fuse in line). There is voltage in the other circuits except the one. Don't know why it failed and cannot see anything so a 30 amp fuse should be sufficient and will also protect the circuit in case there is a short. If it fails I would like to know where Ford hides the real schematics showing stuff before not after the fuse block.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes but is called a starter solenoid. Over laying a new wire will work as long as it has a fuse to protect the circuit. The 30 amp should be okay. The circuit is normal protected with the fuse link power wire at the solenoid.