Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

2010 F 150 left rear turn and stop light do not work. No

Customer Question

2010 F 150 left rear turn and stop light do not work. No voltage to plug. Front works fine. right side works fine. No evidence fuse blown. Can you help
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperBob replied 11 months ago.

Hello jeff, my name is Bob. I know that on a F-250, when the smart junction box detects a fault in either of the rear brake/turn lamp assemblies like a blown bulb or a short to ground, the smart junction box will deactivate the circuit and set a code in the module. I believe the F-150 functions the same. Even if the problem was the bulb and the bulb was replaced, it will not re activate the circuit until the code is cleared from the module. I have only used a factory scan tool to clear the code and allow the light to begin working again. You may be able to reset the code by disconnecting the battery for five minutes or so and allow the stored electricity internal to the module capacitors to drain, then reconnect the battery to see if it begins to work. If this does not work, you may need to bring to a shop or auto parts store that has a code reader that can communicate with that body module and clear the code out! However if the bulb was not the problem and you do have a wiring short to ground, then the code will not clear until the problem that caused it is corrected

Disconnect the battery and let me know what the results are

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No error code.. will try battery in morning. .

Now, keep in mind if the code reader that is used is a generic type code reader, it may only have the capability of scanning the engine computer and not body modules like the smart junction box, I own three scan tools, the ford factory IDS scan tool, a snap on solos scan tool which can both read and clear body module codes, but my autel scan tool cannot communicate with body modules.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Weather got better. So i took off battery x 15 min..no help

When you attempted to pull codes, did the scan tool you used scan the smart junction box, or just the engine control PCM?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just the connection under dash