Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

My name is ***** ***** and I have a 2005 ford Ranger. The

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** and I have a 2005 ford Ranger. The problem is the inertia switch and connector are getting hot and melting. Need to know what would cause this?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: First I was having problems with it starting at times. I would push the switch and it would start. Now it has gotten so hot the connector almost won,t plug in.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

It can be caused by several things. The most common is the switch and connector itself develops high resistance causing the heat. I have replaced countless switches and pigtail connectors on rangers. The second most common would be the fuel pump wearing. The additional drag of the pump impeller increases the current draw on the circuit and the inertia switch is the weak point. Restricted fuel filters can also cause the pump to draw more current. If it were mine I would replace the switch and pigtail connector with OEM parts available from a Ford dealer.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.