Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have to replace the rear tail lights on my ranger, the

Customer Question

Customer: Hi I am Currtis, I have to replace the rear tail lights on my ranger, the retro fit lamps for the center lights have 2 wires but the original lamp has a three wire, what ones do I cut? 2 black and one green. Retro has 1 red one black?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: some one ran into the rear lamp. retrofit has a 2 wire and original has 3 wires what ones do I splice into? the 2 black I assume?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

What year is your Ranger?

What are you calling the center lamps?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
98 ranger and it has 3 lamps per tail light. The retrofit came with a center lamp wiredd in the top and bottom twist in like the original ones. The center on that came wired has a black and red wire but the original socket has 3 wires, where do I splice in the two black or a black and green?
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Curtis, The black wires are all grounds but the turn signal are separate circuit for both sides. See the wiring diagram in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view the diagram. have a look and see if this is what you need.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Tail%20lamp%20Dec%2029.pdf

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
On the drawing I dont see any lamps with three wires? I dont know if it is reverse, turn or back up lamp.. Its my friends car:)
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

The back up lamps are the black/pink wires. See the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/Back%20up%20Dec%2029.pdf