Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

, 6.0 Idles up time. Sometimes dies. Yesterday would

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 6.0 Idles up for short time. Sometimes dies. Yesterday would not go above an idle at a light. I had to turn it off and restart. It went on then. I also smell un burnt fuel.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperBob replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** you tell us a little more about the symptoms the truck is having as well as the model year. When did the concern start, have you looked under the truck to see if fuel is dripping off the engine, or frame rail etc.. Any additional information will help us help you better.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2006 F250 4x4 6.0 172,000 Idle will sometimes go up briefly. Sometimes will just die. At a light it would only idle while trying to take off. Had to turn it off and restart then it acted fine. All problems are interminante. Haven't checked for fuel leaks.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 1 year ago.

When the symptom acts up, does the engine sound louder with a sharp cackle type noise, and/or does the exhaust start making grayish black smoke? also, is the check engine light on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, check engine light. Does get louder. Haven't noticed any smoke.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 1 year ago.

Even though the check engine light is not on, you may still have codes stored in the engine computer that might help us take you in the right direction, if you do not have access to a code reader, many auto parts stores will pull the codes for you at no charge! Do you have a checker auto parts or auto zone nearby?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do. Auto Zone. I also have a SCT programmer. Can I get codes from that?
Expert:  SuperBob replied 1 year ago.

great, lets see what you get. I am suspecting a sticking egr valve or a fuel leak of some sort! If you could also get under the rig and do a good inspection for leaking fuel too. Look real good at the drivers front corner of the engine, look at the passenger rear of the engine near the starter, and under the drivers seat along the inside of the frame rail.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will do this and get back to you.
Expert:  SuperBob replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good, I will check in periodically to see when you reply