SuperBob
SuperBob, Ford Senior Master, Mazda Senior
Experience:  18 years Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, Mazda Dealer ASE master, diesel certified. Specialize electrical
17143921

I just bought a 2005 F250 Crew Cab with a 6.0 Diesel Engine.

Customer Question

I just bought a 2005 F250 Crew Cab with a 6.0 Diesel Engine. Do I need to be concerned with this engine. Currently has 61000 miles on it.
Category: Ford
Expert:  SuperBob replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** is a strong engine, however there are a few things you should know about it so that you will be an informed owner. The most prevelent issue with this engine is degraded coolant. If coolant degrades and/or high mineral content tap water is introduced to the cooling system of this engine, the engine oil cooler is suseptible to being clogged by the contaminants and coolant flow is restricted as it attempts to pass through the oil cooler. The sequence of events that follow are were things get complicated! A restricted engine oil cooler will cause not only higher engine oil temps, but as the super heated coolant passes through the oil cooler it immediately enters the EGR cooler. Now the EGR cooler is intended to cooler exhaust gases prior to introducing small portions of exhaust gas back into the engine intake system, by design this emission component creates an area inert gas or (non combustable area) in each of the cylinders to reduce the combustion chamber temperature and subsequently reduces a pollutant called oxides of nitrogen out of the tailpipe! So, as this super heated low flow coolant exits the engine oil cooler, and directly enter the EGR cooler, which is what fails from the heat, once the EGR cooler fails, coolant can travel across the internal failure of the EGR cooler and be drafted into the exhaust flow of the cooler and into the intake manifold where it travels into the cylinders and down the tailpipe. The result you have now is an ever reducing coolant level and eventually as it gets lower, the engine gets hotter until you rupture you head gasket and/or crack the cylinder heads. Main thing to stay on top of is your cooling system maintenance, Ford recommends premium gold coolant and distilled water.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Several people have recommended that I disconnect the EGR system. What are your views?

It is a little more complex than just say unplugging the EGR valve. What many do is to install a EGR delete kit, this essentially removes the EGR cooler completely from the engine, the coolant that exits the oil cooler now gets routed back into the block and there is no chance for coolant to leak from a failed cooler! The possibility of a restricted oil cooler still exists, so those who install a EGR delete kit, usually also install a high flow oil cooler or even an external oil cooler to keep the engine oil cool. With an EGR delete installed you will more than likely set the check engine light with a code P0401 as (depending on the programming) the computer looks and your exhaust back pressure to tell if the EGR system has proper flow! If one were to do an EGR delete, he would also be required to purchase a programmer like Bully Dog, which will recognize a delete kit has been installed and keep the check engine light off! I have seen some of these trucks with delete kits installed and every one of the owners indicate that they also get a 3 to 5 mile per gallon increase in fuel economy. However if you live in an area where emission testing is required, you will not pass an emission test!

Was this the information that you were looking for?