AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

I have 2010 f-150 with 5.4. Throwing oil all over the

Customer Question

I have 2010 f-150 with 5.4. Throwing oil all over the driverside. On upper control arm, under block and dripping on exhaust. Wiggled all the lines and made a horrible noise like from the transmission. Switched from 2 to***** then all of a sudden it just stopped leaking. Friend said it may be the push to fits on the oil coolant lines
Category: Ford
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 11 months ago.

Hello. was this oil, or transmission fluid? Have you checked your oil level? Trans fluid level? This sounds as if it may be a transmission cooler line..

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is engine oil. About a quart low. Can't check Trans fluid as there is no dipstick. Trans fluid would be red. This is black. Where can I get a diagram of the oil and Trans lines? If it is the quick disconnects can they be replaced with Swagelok ftgs?

Your truck uses mercon LV, which I have seen turn very dark in as little as 20k miles. The fluid level on your transmission can be checked but you are correct in that there is not a traditional dip stick like you would be used to seeing. There is a fill plug on the transmission just above the pan near the exhaust pipe which has a fluid level indicator built into it. You would need to screw the plug out and look at the indicator with the transmission hot to check the fluid. Here is a link to the transmission lines. Your truck doesn't have an oil cooler, so no oil cooler lines.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bffara1vssfb19e/tcool.pdf?dl=0

Hi Robert. Did you get this taken care of?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Not really but now I am home and can physically touch the vehicle. I will go out later and check the transmission fluid level

Ok. If you need anything, let me know.