Wayne Crawford
Wayne Crawford, Shop Owner
Experience:  General Repair Shop Owner
66997337

I own ford explorer 2007 v6 4x4, being mine since new right

Customer Question

Customer: Hi tim, I own ford explorer 2007 v6 4x4, being mine since new right now the transmission stoped working, check engine and the "wrench" light came on I had made a full restoration of the transmission (given that the computer said all solenoids failed and now we had assambled all gain the probles is the same. It happens some 20 minutes after starting the engine and drive a bit
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: it has 80k miles on it, once it fails it goes like a limp mode, and after that the only way to make it work again is to delete the faulty codes with an obdII
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: What if I do as directed and don´t get the problem resolved?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Wayne Crawford replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

What codes are in the system when the lights come on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi wayne, I dont hve acces to them right now, but they where ll the codes relted to the solenoid body
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Wayne, the issue was that, given the codes on the OBDII, ford dealer quoted the change of the Solenoids of the transmission, we make that change on an independent transmission shop, changing also the torque converter.
When the car started with the problem, it started keeping one gear fixed (Probably 3rd) and want go reverse.
Day after that, I drove to the ford dealer and everything worked fine, but the Check engine and "wrench" light keep on.
There is something that start to make the problem evident when everything gets hot, when cold, it does not shows the symptoms.

If I had to guess I would guess you got a weak connection on one of the wiring harnesses. Bad connections tend to be worse with temperature.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Tomorrow I will have the fault codes and send them to you , in case they can tell you something more. By now, we had checked the harnesses continuity and all the cables seem to be ok, we check the resistance and all of them had continuity.
Anyway, I will check the harnesses once again and tell you wht we had find out.
Is there any way that the OBDII showed us the solenoids fail because the car computer is failing instead of the solenoids?

Its entirely possible. Once you get me the codes I can let you know what to check and also form an opinion on that.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, now I had the codes:
P0750
P0755
P0760
P0765
They are the same codes we got at first when the transmission failed and gone Limp mode
We had changed it for a new one, and the codes and fault still persist

Check fuse 38 in the under hood fuse box both for being good and for having battery voltage with the key on.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We checked the fuse and it has voltage

Is it good? Does it have voltage on both sides?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
when we let it cool down after the transmission fails it works again and codes ereased themselves .

Is the fuse good? does it have voltage on both sides?

Are you testing when it is acting up?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Wayne, we checked the fuse and it has voltage on both sides, engine on and off.
We checked continuity on both ends of the transmission PCM connector and all are fine.
Besides, we went for a test ride and the transmission worked perfectly.
After a few miles (5 or so), the wrench light came on again, this time no check engine light up.
The wrench light went on and off two times in a 5 minutes period, and during the whole drive the transmission works perfectly, making shifts softly at all speeds.
Don't know how to proceed now.
Any other suggestion?

Exactly what did you check at the transmission connector?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We check that between the two ends of the conector, the one that plugs to the PCM on the engine bay, and the other end that plugs on the transmission case, all the pins had continuity between ends.
We placed one end of the ohm meter on one of the conector pins on one end, and checked that on the other conector, one pin has continuity with it.
That way we checked all the pins on both sides.

Did you check to make sure the solenoid pack is getting power?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think is getting given that all gears worked fine.how can that be checked?All gears working could be possible without power on the solenoid pack?

I thought you said its going into limp mode?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it was, but now it does not. When we tested, it just light the wrench signal on the dashboard. somehow the light went off again, but now the transmission does not goes to limp mode any more.

What codes are stored in the transmission control module?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
P0750
P0755
P0760
P0765

Still? Try clearing the codes and see what comes back. If all of those were active it would still be in limp mode.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The weird issue is that they are shown on the scanner, but the transmission works fine.
We cleared the codes many times, they came back after some driving.
I triyed letting the car warm up standing still, without puting it in gears and nothing happens, then when driving it, the light goes on again, the obd shows the mentioned codes, but the car still make gear changes and drives fine.

Its gonna be an intermittent issue obviously. If you have thoroughly checked the wiring as you said then its gonna come down to a bad solenoid or PCM.. since the solenoids are already new you almost have no other option than to try the PCM and hope for the best. That or wait till it gets bad enough to confirm the issue.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Does the change of the solenois need any special procedure to make it work correctly? I mean, when you change some other electronic components, you need to reprogram new keys or something like that.
In the case of the Solenoid pack, is there any procedure you need to follow to make the car recognize the new part?

No. Theres no programming or initialization on the solenoids. That is just with some modules (AKA computers). Solenoids just receive commands and open or close based on them.. they dont do any thinking or communicating.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is possible for a ford scanner to determine if the PCM is working fine or the codes are produced by a malfunction of the PCM itself?
PCM are not cheap, and maybe there is something wrong with another electric component and not the PCM?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Happy new year by the way

Yes. Using a ford scanner you can command the solenoids through the PCM and then verify at the solenoid connector whether the PCM and wiring are sending out the commands to the solenoids with a voltmeter. But with an intermittent problem like that it is usually tricky to catch it in the act and testing it while its not acting up is fruitless.

And happy new year to you too. Glad to make it through alive as always ;)