Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

My name is ***** ***** and my issue is with my 1999 F150

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** and my issue is with my 1999 F150 Lariat 4x4 5.4L electrical distribution. My truck has gone completely insane. First the engine temp quit working then the 4x4 light would come on and off. Next the radio lost power and then came on with the key out of the ignition and door closed. Next the key-in-ignition switch chime started chiming with the key out of the ignition. Finally the fuel pump stopped working. I traced the fuel pump issue back to the relay and found that it did not have a ground. Just to get home last night I jumped the ground. Then when I got home I disconnected the battery so I would not drain it. I got up this morning, I reconnected the battery and it cranked but did not start. I can hear the fuel pump running but am at a loss as to WTF is going on. Through my research though I have a couple of ideas. 1. The GEM has gotten wet and needs replacing. I had a leaking windshield which I have replaced but I think maybe the damage has been done. 2. I read that the F150 has had some bad splices in the cab that when they got wet corroded and failed which cased all sorts of electrical problems.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Like what?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Ok.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 11 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I'm an independent contractor here at Just Answer.

The first things we need to do is figure out why its cranking but not starting. What is missing, is it fuel pressure, ignition spark or injector pulse. Do you know how to check those?

Next we need to remove the GEM and fuse box, take them apart and see if there is signs of rust or electrical arcing that has occurred inside deeming them bad needing to be replaced.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

You should see a rating screen if I have posted an answer, not for an info request.

Your rating is my feedback. If I don't get feedback from customers, I will not be able to continue helping customers here.

Rating me good, bad, or not rating at all does not effect the fee you have paid nor does it close the post.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed.