George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years
13574682

The heater blower stays on when ignition switch is off

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****, the heater blower stays on when ignition switch is off
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: if I turn the selector switch off on the control switch the fan turns of but if I select any position other then off the fan comes on with the ignition key removed
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Can you tell me the year and model of your Ford?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2001 f350 super duty diesel
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

The controls are automatic?

/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no thanks I'll find the problem sooner or later
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

I can help you with this I just need to know what you are working on. I am not there to see it so I need information from you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I need to know is why does my heater motor stay on when the ignition key is in my pocket. My battery runs down and I have to charge it.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

All I need to know is if you have automatic temperature controls or do you have a knob for the blower speeds then I can tell you the problem. I want to give you accurate information.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nob
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Good, click here for diagram,

Your blower relay in the underhood fuse block is shorted, pull the relay and if the motor stops running try installing one of the other relays that fit the slot and see if the motor comes back on. If it does not then replace the blower relay with new.

Let me know how I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have already checked the relay, checked to see if the contacts were nc or no with a multimeter all good also the coil
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

If you do what I posted above does the blower come back on with the replacement relay?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I wish you would tell me what you have done so we don't waste your time with this.

If you pull fuse 22 in the underdash fuse block does the motor stop running?

Do the rest of the controls seem to turn off with the ignition switch?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check tomorrow
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

So did you swap relays or are you just going off what you measured?

I will be here tomorrow to get this sorted out for you.

Let me know what you find

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I measured
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, then please swap the relays and see if it still runs and then check by pulling fuse 22 and if the motor turns off with the mode switch in the off position.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a relay or relays that distributes power when ignition switch is in the run position?
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

That is the switch itself and gives power to the 22 fuse which if the mode switch is in any position except off will turn on the blower relay giving power to the motor. The ground for the motor is through the blower speed switch.

Let me know what you find and how I can help

Thank you