Randall C
Randall C, ASE MasterTechnician
Experience:  35 years ASE Master Tech, Diagnostic , Electrical Specialist
13677702

Ford specialist, I was wanting to do a engine rebuild

Customer Question

Hello ford specialist, I was wanting to do a engine rebuild for a learning experience on my 87 ford bronco with a 300 inline 6 electronic fuel injected engine. My engine has well over 250,000 miles on it. I was planning on getting a master rebuild kit off of eBay for about 350$ and doing it. However I know that it is not that simple because you need specialized tools, possibly machining for the block and head, and the knowledge to do the job right so it will run better than it did before. So what major things do I need to consider when doing somthing like this so I do a good job and make sure the engine gets put back together correctly wothout anything being missed like valve train adjustments, crank and cam bearings replacement, engine timing and distributor install, torque specs and so on
Category: Ford
Expert:  Randall C replied 11 months ago.

Hello, sorry for the delay, This typ of question is very very difficult to answer in this type of format, Thgere are so many files, downloads ,suggests but as we know, I could be here 3 weeks trying to walk step by step. I think it is great you want to undertake this rebuild, you will learn alot but,, certain things must be done correctly or could turn into waste of time or redo so..Although I am here to help and can and will if a fixed issue or question? at this stage I can only make recommends. I have been doing this near 40 years now fixing cars and trucks, you take your time,. take pics of each thing you remove, always great to be able to look back at brackets etc, My biggest suggest? spend around $25 and get a full year subscription to the exact same repair information we use in the shop, You will get everything we have online, can pullup as you need or print as you need,. so,, you would go to www.alldatadiy.com and get that year online for very minimal $, Meantime, if you have a couple genral questions, I can likely help, specifics require following repair information, I have included a couple links to show what I mean, these are examples of breakdown and torque specs for this engine, How to set bearings, assemble, set rings and timing etc all can be found with same program I sent you, It is great repair information , better then any book you can buy,I am sorryhard to help start to finish. I am here to help but this is about only way I can help which is info and suggests, Here are example links

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok well I have another quick question in regards ***** ***** engine, I did a compression test on all my cylinders and got about 100-130 psi is that supposed to be good. I was also wanting to spray sea foam inside of my engine cylinders and take off the valve cover and spray it all over those parts to clean away the carbon build up is that good idea.

the compression is ok, good average of compression nnumbers, Cleaning? this is fine but , if oil pan is on? that gum and debris will get into the oil pan,Then it will eventually block the oil pickup screen so one must be careful when cleaning the top end of an engine,If you can block off the oil return holes in the head, that will help prevent the gum carbon etc from getting into the lower end

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok so with decant compression and a little clean up work my engine should be fine for a while, no rebuild required, about a year ago I changed my oil pan gasket, rear main seal, fly wheel and valve cover gasket so I think sea foaming it and changing the oil will flush all that carbon buildup out
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Without it having a leaking problem I guess
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was also going to change fuel my injectors but for the most part this engine is unbreakable, do think I am doing the right things for it ?

sorry delay. Holiday. yes, you can do injectors , good call but you originally asked about full rebuild, I sent what I could adn could send more but, lots of files invloved, so, as long as you follow what I sent about engine cleaning and do injestors, you may be ok, I dont have full history nor why you asked originally what you want to do, , I only send info on how to get ALL that repair information like we do in the shop fo little cost and i can send some? data, just not all full rebuild data, Hope this makes sense