Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I wa driving my truck, battery light came on a smelt

Customer Question

Customer: My name is***** wa driving my truck, battery light came on a smelt something burning. Truck has been getting harder to start. Would it be the batteries?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just had a programmer put on and the DPF and EGR coolers removed. It has been a little hard to start lately and has not really been very cold. This was the first time the battery light came on and I have never smelt anything in the Cab before.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 11 months ago.

Well, the first step would be to open the hood and check the battery. If it smells, you should be able to trace it down, or at least be able to tell if it is the battery, or something else that smells. If you had something installed, it's possible they left a cable hanging in such a way that it came into contact with the exhasut, or maybe just didn't bolt the battery cable up tight and it is getting poor contact and not charging correctly.