A. Penland
A. Penland, Ford Senior Master Technician, ASE
Experience:  ASE Master Certified, ASE Advanced Gasoline Engine Performance
14865528

2007 ford expedition. Check engine light on, and wrench

Customer Question

Customer: 2007 ford expedition. Check engine light on, and wrench symbol. When I try to start it the engine turns over but then stops. This is an intermittent problem, I had the issue and had to get a ride home. Went back today and it cranked. Vehicle will not go over about 40 MPH and is slow to change gears. When I turn it off and try to start it again, it may or may not fire up.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just gave you a lot did you read it all?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  A. Penland replied 11 months ago.

Have you been able to check for any trouble codes in the PCM (Engine Computer)? If you do not have a code reader, some auto parts stores do rent and/or loan them out.

The trouble codes will point out what is causing the problem.

Get the codes and post them on this page.

Without the trouble codes, we are only guessing and that an get expensive.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If I get the codes then I will know the issue, what was the point of asking here?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was afraid to shut the motor down at the autoparts store. Otherwise I would have the codes

When we get any Fords in the dealership for driveabilty problems, the first thing we do is check for trouble codes. The days of simple guessing are long gone. Way too many modules and sensors in the systems now. You problem could be caused by fuel pressure, the throttle body, the PCM itself, or a simple sensor. It is hard to tell.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are you charging me for that answer? I do not feel as though you provided any resolution to my issue

We can talk back and forth to resolve your Expeditions problem. You can get the codes and post them tomorrow on this page. I can help you work through and find the problem.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I would like to be refunded my fee. I received no assistance from the transaction and would like my money back. You provided no value to me.