Pete, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing automobiles various makes and models with some training and certifications.
14928985

Ron. I was driving my 1995 ford winstar last night when my

Customer Question

Hello Ron. My name is***** was driving my 1995 ford winstar last night when my digital dashboard went out. I can not roll up or down my windows and my inside light don't come on...
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Looking at all of the info on this model here the GEM (general electronics control module) controls the signals for some of the window operations,instrument cluster controls,and interior light controls.

The first thing that needs checked here is to make sure all fuses are good.If all fuses are found to be o.k. I suspect the GEM has failed and needs replaced and can be a common component to fail and cause this here.

I will send the phone call request you are asking for.You can accept it and we can speak on the phone or we can continue here if you want.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How much will the GEM cost and is it something I can do myself?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

It will have to be setup and programmed by a dealer or authorized repair center for it to work after it is replaced and the cost can run anywhere from $100 to $250 depending on the part number and where it is purchased.Some claim to buy it used from places like E bay for much cheaper then have a dealer install and program it.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If I use my remote to lock and unlock the doors. Then the inside look wor for about five mind then stop..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Five minutes then stop. The lights is the dashboard comes on really vaguely until I try to start the van. Then it goes black...
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

This still sounds like the GEM at fault here as this is a common issue.The electrical circuit or component inside of it sounds to be working partially at first but then acts up again causing this issue here.I suspect the GEM needs replaced here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I have to take it to the dealer?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

It does need setup and programmed by either a dealer or authorized repair center in order for it to operate properly in your vehicle here.They will usually charge about an hours labor to do this.

Thanks Pete