Kenny Z.
Kenny Z., Ford Senior Master Tech
Experience:  Auto Trans, Drivability and Electrical Specialist
9600325

Having a rough idle issue at lower rpms goes away when I am

Customer Question

Customer: having a rough idle issue at lower rpms goes away when I am driving, but comes back when I am at stop light and braked i was thinking of cleaning the MAF and IAC also thinking about motor mount replacements how do i diagnose? ford 2008 focus
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 2008 ford foucs 33,000 miles the car kind of vibrates when at a stop signal and am brakes applied doesnt do it while driving at higher rplms rpms
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how long is the wait? i can wait for a bit no probs
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Kenny Z. replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and thanks for your question.

It does sound like the motor mount has failed allowing engine vibration to transfer to the body. These are difficult to verify as the mount will appear fine visually. One way to confirm is to have an assistant sit in the car with it idling in gear with the brakes applied. Use a floor jack and block of wood under the engine oil pan and very slightly raise the engine. If the vibration changes or lessens then the mount collapsed internally and will need to be replaced.

If you are satisfied with your answer, please take a moment to rate my service as you see fit. Experts are not compensated without a positive rating. Providing a rating does not close the question, you can reply or ask additional questions without incurring further charges.

Hello again,

If you need further assistance please feel free to reply and we can continue. Otherwise please take a moment to rate my answer as you see fit. After rating, the thread is still available should you need further assistance.

Thanks,

Kenny Z