Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

I have Ford Taurus 2008 SEL 3.5L & have problem with gear.

Customer Question

Hi there,
I have Ford Taurus 2008 SEL 3.5L & have problem with gear. after driving for long period, it starts giving jerks when it changes gear from 2nd to 3rd.
I have updated the TCM , changed gear Oil , changed the mountings of gear. but still the jerk is there. And it doesnt happen always. very rarely it starts. Means now its rarely & once serious it might then always jerk.
Can you help me what is the problem.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry you are having this problem

there are no codes being set at all history or current in the computer ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No codes , the car is tested at ford workshop, but on computer everything is fine. They couldn't find the problem.Any idea what is causing the gear jerk . The jerks are so bad that it's sounds scares me As if the gear will break any time and the jerk is like someone bumped into my car from back.Any idea what it can be. Are you fimiliar with ford vehicles. This is Ford Taurus and it's also called ford five hundred .
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

yes i am very familiar with these transmissions

with it being intermittent the idea of a physical issue of an engine mount or something along those lines would not be the issue as it would do it all the time

with no codes and it being intermittent like this the issue is usually in the valve body of the transmission with a binding or sticking shift valve or some debris in the valve body causing this issue

the best action to take is to be 100 % sure the most current computer programs are loaded into the cars computers

if it still does this have a transmission fluid flush performed to try to clean out the valve body

if it still acts up the the valve body needs to be removed and inspected and cleaned if the valve body has any binding shuttle valves the valve body will need to be replaced and also the channel plate behind the valve body needs to be cleaned and be sure there is no debris

with no codes and it being intermittent the only thing is can be is what i said

you can always get me back for FREE through this post with any follow up anytime with this question

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi there,Referring to your reply, to be honest i am not satisfied with what the explanation you have given for the GEAR JERK PROBLEM.The solutions which you have given is something i have already told you, that the software is updated & the Gear Oil is been flushed/Changed. Still the mechanic didnt find any debris in the Oil.Secondly, lets assume for the sake of discussion that there is debris in the GEAR, then why isnt it always Jerking. Or why is it happening only when the gear changes from 2nd to 3rd, why not in 4th, 5th , 6th gear & why is it not happening during the day start. As i mentioned, this usually happens if the vehicle is either driven for longer period or some time when the gear gets warm enough.So the above statement shows that the logic which you have sent to me is wrong & there is something else wrong with the gear. Please dont take it personal, but seems you have less experience with the Ford Gear problem. These troubleshoot of Gear Jerk is not the first case & lot of people are facing it. So the solution should have been on your finger tip. Still if you say that you do have any idea of my vehicle problem, then i wont anymore waste your or my time & close the case.Awaiting your reply.Regards.