AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

Our 1993 Ford Explorer Limited 4x4 is having an issue with

Customer Question

Our 1993 Ford Explorer Limited 4x4 is having an issue with headlights not shutting off even when switch is off AND Auto Lamp switch (on rear view mirror) in OFF position and set all the way to left (lowest time delay). Seems to be a common problem from my research. I've managed to locate the HEADLIGHT AUTO LAMP RELAY and tried a new relay, but headlights still on with headlight switch pushed in (OFF position). Same issue with relay pulled out. Can a headlight switch short out and push current leaving lights on? Only fix is to disconnect battery cable (currently using a quick disconnect terminal).
Category: Ford
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I believe the problem is a short in your headlamp switch. They cost around 10.00. I will provide you the means of testing it if you would like. You would need a DVOM to test it.

If you prefer to test it first before replacing it, here is the information to test it. An open circuit will have no continuity.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hjfdk7wozxya51v/exp.pdf?dl=0

Please remember to rate my service so I may receive credit. It is greatly
appreciated. If you have any other questions regarding this issue you can follow up with me

right here at no charge even after rating. I will do all I can to help. Thank you for allowing

me to help you with your automotive concerns.