EricFromCT
EricFromCT, Ford Technician
Experience:  20 years dealership exp., ASE A1-A9 L1 L2, Ford Lincoln Mercury Senior Master, Diesel Certified
34559540

1997 F-150 5.4 liter V-8: My truck is making a noise thats

Customer Question

1997 F-150 5.4 liter V-8: My truck is making a noise thats coming from the black housing that sits where a carburetor would normally sit on an engine, the sound also causes the plastic housing to vibrate. When I first heard the sound I thought it was a dirty air filter because it sounds like a choking sound when a machine is not getting enough air, I checked my filter & it is clean since I changed 2 months ago. Please advise.
Category: Ford
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 11 months ago.

Hi. Do you mean from the black housing on top of the intake manifold? or the black housing that you can see part of under the intake manifold?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

The black housing on top of the intake, its where the air filter hose connects to.

Ok. THanks. The black housing can be removed with 2 bolts on 1 side and 1 bolt on the other. There is a vacuum elbow behind the top of the intake which commonly gets soft and causes a sucking or choking type sound. The other end if this line is the pcv valve on the passenger side. You can reach your hand around while the engine is running and see if you can change the noise by. Perhaps you can check that first then let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Ok, I will try when I get back to my shop.

Alright sounds good.

Hi. have you made progress checking for that noise in your truck? Please let me know if you have more questions on that. Also please rate my service and have a great Holiday!