Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Thanks. Im trying to program new remotes 2000 Ford Focus.

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****. Thanks. Im trying to program new remotes for my 2000 Ford Focus. Followed the procedure and the car does not go into programming mode
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Yes. I'm doing this: open door, buckle seat belt, press unlock on door panel, insert key, turn from off to run position 8 times quickly, ending on run. nothing happens. I get an odd extra chime on the 5th key cycle too
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

I think you are doing it just a bit wrong. You must end the key cycling with the key in the OFF position. Plus i think you only need to cycle it maybe 5 times instead of 8?? Read and try the instructions below and see if it works.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/33691145/program.PNG