Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Ford Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

I have a 1979 300 I-6 that I've rebuilt. It has a YFA single

Customer Question

I have a 1979 300 CID I-6 that I've rebuilt. It has a Carter YFA single barrel carb that I also rebuilt. I can get it started and it runs fine for a few minutes, then dies. Choke seems fine, fuel pump is new, fuel filter is new, there is gas in the tank. Could it be possible that the float is sticking in the closed position?
Category: Ford
Expert:  Virtual Wrench replied 1 year ago.

Does it start right back up after it dies?

You must be offline at the moment.

If it starts right back up after it dies, AND, it will run if you hold the gas pedal so the engine is running at about 1500 rpm without stalling out, then the float is ok and it sounds more like it has a vacuum leak causing it to run too lean at idle.

You can get a can of carb cleaner and while its idling, spray it all along the intake manifold where it connects to the head and if the rpm goes up that would indicate there is a vacuum leak in the intake manifold gasket and it would need replaced.

You can also use the carb cleaner and spray it anywhere that a vacuum leak may occur, like the base of the carb, any vacuum hoses, etc..ANY place that will make the engine rpm go up is a leak.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

LJ