Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

I have a 1988 Ford F250, that has a fuel injected 460

Customer Question

I have a 1988 Ford F250, that has a fuel injected 460 engine. The problem is that it would run for a while then quit, let it sit for a while and started back up. The length of time it would run became shorter. Checked the fuel pumps and were putting out fuel, but no pressure at the fuel rail. So I changed the fuel regulator valve and it worked fine for a while. A few days later the problem started again, running and dying, so this time I started looking at electrical, so changed the coil because it was showing no fire at the distributor, but would still run occasionally? That was no help. Changed the distributor and icm, no help. changed the fuel pump relay, no help. Checked the fuel rail pressure again, as it had been working, but had none. So I changed the main pressure pump on the frame rail, because the supply pump in the tank was working. It fired up instantly, ran twenty seconds and died. Checked power to the pumps and they are fine. No fire out of the coil, even though it is getting power to it. Put three different coils on, no help. The inertia switch is alright as well. Need some ideas where to go next. It might be something that has already been tried, as i have had brand new fuel pumps only work for a little while and quit.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question,

Providing you have proper fuel pressure (32 to 45 PSI)at the fuel rail service port, In most cases if you are not getting fire out of the coil while cranking the problem is usually cause by a failing distributor pick up coil and in most cases if you replacing it you are best served to replace the ignition module as well. Before you consider replacing anything you should do some testing while the no spark condition is present. I have enclosed the steps in the link below. Copy and paste the link to your browser to open and view it. Run through the steps and post back if you have more questions and or need more help.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/No%20spark%20Dec%2018.pdf