6Bucs
6Bucs, Ford Senior Master
Experience:  Ford senior master tech, 18 years experience.
63005990

I have a 2013 ford F250 diesel and it was on low fuel and my

Customer Question

I have a 2013 ford F250 diesel and it was on low fuel and my wife put 6 gallons of gas in it and realized and filled the rest with diesel which was about 20 gallons will it be okay?
Category: Ford
Expert:  6Bucs replied 11 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is James

It's not recommended to run the engine with that amount of gasoline intermixed with the fuel. Gasoline is thinner and has a higher volitility than diesel fuel and is also not capable of lubricating internal fuel system components the way diesel fuel is designed to. This can cause damage to the fuel injectors and the exhaust system, which runs in to thousands of dollars to repair. The best option is to have the vehicle towed, have the fuel tank drained out and filled with clean diesel fuel. If the engine has been started, replace the fuel filters as well.

James.