Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

My name is ***** ***** I have a 2005 f150 Ranch that lately

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** I have a 2005 f150 king Ranch that lately while driving down the hyway the gauges and speedometer with the blower for the heater all just go out then spontaneously come back on flickering on and off? The cruise control stays functional even the display light goes off with the rest of the gauges radio also?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: That's about all I got just intermittent gauges and instrument panel lights going on and off with the heater blower also?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

This sounds like a loose electrical connection. Do you want to try and narrow it down and pinpoint where the problem is?

If so, I need to know which engine came in this and everything that appears to go out, of and on the same time as the things you mentioned but if that is all, let me know.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Actually I see the 5.4 was the only engine that came in a King Ranch, is that correct?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Do the gauges themselves go out or the illumination for them or both?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I am at work so I cannot get on the phone presently but yes the gauges go out and the illumination.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
both and it is the 5.4 triton
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

When you get a chance check the electrical connections in the fuse box. Wiggle each fuse and make sure none are loose and wiggle each relay also. Other than that, you are going to have to name ever single item that goes out. Just saying the gauges isn't enough, what gauges? Do the illumination bulbs for other things on the dash go out as well, including the 4wd indicator, the illumination for the heater controls, any switches on the dash, like the headlight switch itself, and the radio, etc. I need to know everything so I can try to find out exactly which point in the wiring diagrams that all of these items come together so I can tell you which fuse, relay, splice or ground to specifically check with a voltmeter and that reminds me, do you have a voltmeter?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I leave work in about 3 hours, I can then get to my truck and recheck what you mentioned above and I do not have a voltmeter...so do you recommend a certain one etc... also it will be tonight later that I can get this information to you....so how does this work exactly....will this conversation be with you later or someone else?
Expert:  Mike S. replied 11 months ago.

Sorry, I obviously missed your last post and laid down to bed just after I replied. Any voltmeter would work. Usually you can purchase an inexpensive multi-meter almost anywhere for $5-10 or so.

Did you try wiggling all of the fuses and relays in the fuse box to see if any were loose?

How often does this problem occur?