Jeremy
Jeremy, Certified Diesel Technician/Electrician
Experience:  ASE, NATEF Engines and Electrical certified, EPA 608/609
9290743

Wasn't expecting this..but I just changed the fuel pump on

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, wasn't expecting this..but I just changed the fuel pump on 7.3 turbo, don't see anything left off..unhooked. It will start with starting fluid, just wont stay running
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I had a fuel leak a few weeks ago and turned out to be the lower fuel (rubber) line going into the fuel pump. While that was off I replaced two other rubber lines with new clamps etc and the problem seemed to be fixed. About a week or two later there was another leak. This time it looked like it was from the bottom of the fuel pump. So I changed it out but now it won't start/run on it's own.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will assist you.

What make, model, and year is the vehicle? I know 7.3 turbo and that is all I have. If newer years, go in the cab and check fuse 33. See if it is blown. Sometimes when you connect the heater back up, it blows that fuse. If it is blown, replace it and try again. Let me know the result.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
You want a 5 star service and I want to provide a 5 star service. Please consider that I don't know your skill level as well as I can't see,
touch, smell, hear the vehicle/machine in question. Please provide as much detail as possible and I will provide as much back.

Once an answer is provided, you should see a rating screen. Please rate my personal service to you. The ratings are my personal feedback,
they are not the site feedback.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you through Just Answer!

Jeremy

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's a '95 if that helps
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The fuse panel cover only lists 18 ..so may be an older model?
Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

Yes it does.

You have a fuel heater in the fuel bowl. Unplug it, check the fuse, and see if it will start. If that fuse pops from that fuel heater, it will keep you from starting the vehicle. It won;t allow the fuel to flow from the pump. It keeps the solenoid off to prevent a fire. Give that a check and let me know.

The 94 to 99 are the worst on that issue and you are right in there.

Check fuse 22. It will be a maxi fuse under the hood on your year. Unplug the fuel heater, replace the fuse. It grounds out the PCM and will not allow a start.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

The newer trucks, 1999 1/2 to 2003 have them in the cab.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

I apologize, but I don;t do phone calls. However, this is opened up to all experts so if any of them do phone calls, they can also assist you as well.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** your help. I believe it must be an electrical issue..something that has the fuel shut off. I'll take a fresh look in the morning!
Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

Definitely take a look at the fuel heater. It's easier to unplug it when testing. If the pump is plugged back in properly, no missed wires, then the heater is 90% of the cause.

Let me know what you find.

Expert:  Jeremy replied 11 months ago.

I see you viewed this and this is still showing as a open question due to no positive (3 stars or more) rating.

Did you still need assistance with this?