James, Ford Technician
Experience:  Ford Senior Master Tech, Ford gas and diesel expert, ASE Certified
74859263

99 ford expedition 4wd not engaging think maybe the awd

Customer Question

Customer: 99 ford expedition 4wd not engaging think maybe the awd drive is not either
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: key on engine off if I switch from awd to 4wd vent blows fine, if I shut off key and turn key back on then vent defaults to defrot but if I start truck vent blows fine so I don't know if vacuum problem. When I look at vacuum lines from front axles they only go about 2 feet and go into a plug and there are wires out the other side so maybe those are mini vacuum switches/pumps? snowy day here and I could spin out easily and so don't think front is engaged anytime.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how long
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

Hello, if the vents are working fine while the engine is running it has good vacuum. On the front axle is a disconnect solenoid that uses vacuum to engage. The two small solenoids you see on the firewall engage and disengage the 4wd solenoid. If you follow the vacuum lines down to the engine they are known to rot and breAk in this area. Sometimes the solenoid on the axle breaks also from rocks. On a rare occasion the fork that engages 4wd can break and you need a new shift fork assembly.

Expert:  James replied 11 months ago.

You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.