Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  23 years with Ford specializing in drivability and electrical and AC. Ford certs and ASE Certs
7276279

On my 2.3 turbo Ford. the counter shaft gear that drives the

Customer Question

On my 2.3 turbo Ford. the counter shaft gear that drives the distributor and oil pump failed. Both the dist. and oil pump rotate free by hand and bearings are good. Only 1/3 of the dist. gear is gone. The other 2/3"s is like new and the wear pattern looks great. The counter shaft gear is all gone.????
Any ideas ??? Dave
Category: Ford
Expert:  Ron replied 12 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If the counter shaft gear teeth are all gone that because it kept turning and if the distributor gear on in missing a portion then it would indicate the distributor locked up or the gear on it is the wrong one. I would suspect the distributor was the cause . Make sure you have the right drive gear installed on it.