Edward
Edward, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified. Auto Transmission rebuilder for Ford Motor Co. from 91 to 2000
29534642

My overhead light will not go out. every time i close the

Customer Question

my overhead light will not go out. every time i close the door. the computer says driver door ajar. how do i correct this. or is there a manual way to doit.
Category: Ford
Expert:  Edward replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do all I can to help, The microswitch for the light is actually in the door lock assembly inside the latch behind the door panel, there is a microswitch that gets stuck over time, and doesn't let the light go out. It is likely the drivers side door as that is the one that is most used. What I would try is this, open the door until you see the door lock assembly, this is what grab the striker, spray some brake cleaner all in the latch and use the straw to try to get down inside the latch as best you can, then use some WD 40 or PB blaster and spray the latch down well, then open and close the door about 10 times, try that a few times, sometimes the switch will get stuck by dirt and grime that eventually works it's way into the latch, if that doesn't work, then you will likely have to remove the door panel and replace the lock assembly to repair it. Before doing that however, I would recommend checking the latch with an advanced type scan tool that can communicate with the Body Control Module, that way the scan tool will tell you which door is open (even though all are shut) and you will know for sure before replacing any components. Let me know if you have any further questions.