Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years experience
2499435

I have 2001 explorer sport
, SUddenly the alarm is

Customer Question

Customer: Hi I have 2001 explorer sport
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: SUddenly the alarm is going off--meaning the horn is going off--its just sitting in garage
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $28) to post your type of question to Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Ford
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi--best to call me:(###) ###-####
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 11 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I'm an independent contractor here at Just Answer.

An alarm going off on a vehicle not running and the doors locked indicates the perimeter anti theft has been triggered. This occurs when the module detects the battery voltage has fluctuated like form a light coming on. The most common reason for this is sticking door ajar switch attached to the door latch in the doors and liftgate. Open those doors and spray the latch pretty good with some penetrating lube like liquid wrench then close the door about 5 times and retest.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

You should see a rating screen if I have posted an answer, not for an info request.

Your rating is my feedback. If I don't get feedback from customers, I will not be able to continue helping customers here.

Rating me good, bad, or not rating at all does not effect the fee you have paid nor does it close the post.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi--the only way to test this is too see if it goes off again--correct? Thanks

That is correct, there is not a physical test to see what is to blame using a diagnostic tool. This error is not stored.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi--further update: I went to mechanic to check battery. Discovered the horn is suddenly not working. We changed the fuse and blew horn and it popped the fuse. Then disconnected horn and tested horn wire and it was hot--so the horn was recieving power.What do you think?Thanks

Unplug th horn and try another fuse. If the fuse does not blow when tying to honk the horn then it is your horn that is internally shorted to ground and faulty.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We did that. Then the horns needs to be replaced? And also, how was this related to alarm (which are horns) to going off? Thanks

If the alarm went off for a while the honking horn eventually caused the horn to fail.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
this is important: If the alarm went off its not because the horn was failing? Meaning even after I replace horns there could be another problem with alarm?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
PS. The horn did not go off for that long

The alarm will not go off from a faulty horn.

You have 2 issues now.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We are going to replace the horns tomorrow. What is your recommendation?

What is my recommendation on which concern?

Have tried everything I have mentioned so far?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Chris, tomorrow we are going to put in new horn but my question to you is whats our next move in terms alarm malfunction? Also, the horn did not go off enough to fail

Did you lube the door jar switches yet?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I did that last night. And I did not hear the alarm/horn go off all night so I thought I was good to go. And when I got to mechanic, the horn did not work. But last night I did change the fuse for horn and the horn was still working

You may need to wait till the horn is working again to confirm the alarm issue is resolved since with an inoperable horn you will not hear the alarm going off.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Chris,
We replaced the horns and sprayed all the latches again. I got it back in my garage and 15 minutes later the alarm/horns went off. Suggestions?Thanks

Can you lock it up and watch the vehicle and or record it to see if the dome light comes on prior to the alarm?

I like to stay in contact with my customers that appear not pleased, still working on the concern, or have not rated yet. I assume you were not pleased with my help. I hate that you have spent money to get an answer but left not happy. Can you tell me why, or can I help more. If its more help you need just reply and we can pick up where we left off.

Thanks Chris