Matt, Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My fusion won't start at all. Seems very dead.

Customer Question

Category: Ford
Expert:  Matt replied 12 months ago.

Hello

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The mechanic is clearly knowledgeable but for a pay service I think a chat function would be better. My car is a hybrid and changing out batteries would be difficult. A monthly service is not a good idea. But chatting, talking, or peri scoping with a mechanic is worth $28.
Expert:  Matt replied 12 months ago.

hello

this is a chat service, plase note that its meant to be a back and forth so I can help you to solve the issue

can you carry out any of the tests I've mentioned? please get back to me on this post

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Matt. Thanks. My car needed a jump start. I tried using my GF car but it did not work. Maybe it was not strong enough for my hybrid. But the tow truck guy had a charging machine that worked. He said it was common problem with 2013 Ford Fusion hybrids.
Tj
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

hello

sound like its all OK now?

if your high voltage system isn't charging then what needs to be done from here (and is best done by a qualified High voltage battery technicianwith extensive experience with the high voltage hybrid vehicle) is to have the high voltage battery tested,the high voltage fuse checked,the high voltage cooling system checked to make sure it is o.k. and the high voltage power cable as all of these are components that can cause this issue here.

This is extreme voltage and electrocution can occur if not handled and tested properly so a certified technician should be the only one working on this part of the vehicle with the proper high voltage gear being worn and test equipment.

Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash issplit between the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpfulplease rate my answer.